Many Toxics Program investigations include or focus directly on the occurrence, transport and ecological effects of nutrients in the environment. The major nutrients nitrogen and phosphorus typically are studied; however, this research includes any process or chemicals that enrich or otherwise affect nutrient budgets in natural as well as anthropogenically affected water resources. Nutrients from agricultural, urban, and other sources are included in these investigations. The information presented on this page cuts across lines drawn by individual investigations and projects so that information on the fate and effects of nutrients can be presented in one place.
Investigations and Research Activities
USGS scientist lowering a water-quality sampler into the Iowa River near Marengo, IA, (site ID 05453100). during the 1993 flood of the upper Mississippi River Watershed. The samples were analyzed for nutrients and pesticides.
Average annual nitrate concentrations in selected rivers during 1905-07 and 1980-96 (FS 135-00).
Science Feature Articles
- A method for examining temporal changes in cyanobacterial harmful algal bloom spatial extent using satellite remote sensing: Urquhart, E.A., Schaeffer, B.A., Stumpf, R.P., Loftin, K.A., and Werdell, P.J., 2017, Harmful Algae, v. 67, p. 144-152, doi:10.1016/j.hal.2017.06.001.
- Stable isotopic composition of perchlorate and nitrate accumulated in plants--Hydroponic experiments and field data: Estrada, N.L., Böhlke, J.K., Sturchio, N.C., Gu, B., Harvey, G., Burkey, K.O., Grantz, D.A., McGrath, M.T., Anderson, T.A., Rao, B., Sevanthi, R., Hatzinger, P.B., and Jackson, W.A., 2017, Science of the Total Environment, v. 595, p. 556-566, doi:10.1016/j.scitotenv.2017.03.223.
- A critical review of the postulated role of the non-essential amino acid, β-N-methylamino-l-alanine (BMAA) in neurodegenerative disease in humans: Chernoff, N., Hill, D.J., Diggs, D.L., Faison, B.D., Francis, B.M., Lang, J.R., Larue, M.M., Le, T.-T., Loftin, K.A., Lugo, J.N., Schmid, J.E., and Winnik, W.M., 2017, Journal of Toxicology and Environmental Health--Part B (Critical Reviews), v. 20, no. 4, p. 1-47, doi:10.1080/10937404.2017.1297592 (Advanced Web release).
- Anoxic nitrate reduction coupled with iron oxidation and attenuation of dissolved arsenic and phosphate in a sand and gravel aquifer: Smith, R.L., Kent, D.B., Repert, D.A., and Böhlke, J.K., 2017, Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta, v. 196, p. 102-120, doi:10.1016/j.gca.2016.09.025.
- Cyanobacteria of the 2016 Lake Okeechobee and Okeechobee Waterway harmful algal bloom: Rosen, B.H., Davis, T.W., Gobler, C.J., Kramer, B.J., and Loftin, K.A., 2017, Open-File Report 2017-1054.