Crude Oil Contamination in the Shallow Subsurface: Bemidji, Minnesota
Crude oil from a pipeline rupture in 1979 contaminated
a shallow aquifer near Bemidji, Minnesota. After initial cleanup, about
110,000 gallons of crude oil remains in the subsurface. This site thus
provides a unique opportunity to study a contaminant plume where the location,
amount, and timing of the spill are precisely known. The study focuses
on how crude oil spreads in soil vapor and ground water. Models have been
developed to describe the controlling physical, chemical, and biological
processes. These models can be used to evaluate remedial strategies for
oil spills, including intrinsic bioremediation.
- Comparison of surficial CO2 efflux to other measures of subsurface crude oil degradation: Warren, E., Sihota, N., Hostettler, F.D., and Bekins, B.A., Journal of Contaminant Hydrology (IN PRESS).
- High-resolution magnetic susceptibility measurements for investigating magnetic mineral formation during microbial mediated iron reduction: Atekwana, E.A., Mewafy, F.M., Abdel Aal, G., Werkema, D.D., Revil, A., and Slater, L.D., 2014, Journal of Geophysical Research--Biogeosciences, v. 119, no. 1, p. 80-94, doi:10.1002/2013JG002414.
- A mass balance approach to investigating geochemical controls on secondary water quality impacts at a crude oil spill site near Bemidji, Mn: Ng, G.H.C., Bekins, B.A., Cozzarelli, I.M., Baedecker, M.J., Bennett, P.C., and Amos, R.T., 2014, Journal of Contaminant Hydrology, v. 164, p. 1-15, doi:10.1016/j.jconhyd.2014.04.006.
- Effects of dual-pump crude oil recovery system, Bemidji, Minnesota, USA: Delin, G.N., and Herkelrath, W.N., 2014, Ground Water Monitoring and Remediation, v. 34, no. 1, p. 57-67, doi:10.1111/gwmr.12040.
- Insights into biodegradation through depth-resolved microbial community functional and structural profiling of a crude-oil contaminant plume: Fahrenfeld, N., Cozzarelli, I., Bailey, Z., and Pruden, A., 2014, Microbial Ecology, p. 1-10, doi:10.1007/s00248-014-0421-6.
Project Remediation Related Activities
Related Research Projects
Other Hydrocarbon Remediation Related Activates
Back to Investigations Page
Back to Petroleum Related Contamination Research Projects
Back to Subsurface Point-Source Contamination Research Projects