Petroleum Related Contamination
Subsurface spills of petroleum compounds (crude oil, gasoline, and gasoline additives)
may be the most frequently cited cause of ground-water contamination. USGS scientists and
their partners are developing information and tools essential for effective remediation and
long-term management of fuel spills. A major theme of this research is the effectiveness and
practical limitations of Natural Attenuation for treatment of sites with petroleum related
contamination. Research has been conducted at 4 research sites:
Crude Oil Contamination in a
Shallow Outwash Aquifer -- Bemidji, Minnesota
Oxygenated Gasoline --
Laurel Bay, South Carolina
Produced Water -- Osage-Skiatook
Petroleum Environmental Research Project, Oklahoma
Gasoline -- Galloway Township, New
Other Program Petroleum Related Research
Program Headlines on Petroleum Related Research
- Comparison of surficial CO2 efflux to other measures of subsurface crude oil degradation: Warren, E., Sihota, N., Hostettler, F.D., and Bekins, B.A., Journal of Contaminant Hydrology (IN PRESS).
- Adaptations of indigenous bacteria to karst aquifers in south-Central Kentucky contaminated with fuel: Byl, T.D., Metge, D.W., Agyman, D.T., Bradley, M., Hileman, G., and Harvey, R.W., Journal of Cave and Karst Studies (IN PRESS).
- High-resolution magnetic susceptibility measurements for investigating magnetic mineral formation during microbial mediated iron reduction: Atekwana, E.A., Mewafy, F.M., Abdel Aal, G., Werkema, D.D., Revil, A., and Slater, L.D., 2014, Journal of Geophysical Research--Biogeosciences, v. 119, no. 1, p. 80-94, doi:10.1002/2013JG002414.
- A mass balance approach to investigating geochemical controls on secondary water quality impacts at a crude oil spill site near Bemidji, Mn: Ng, G.H.C., Bekins, B.A., Cozzarelli, I.M., Baedecker, M.J., Bennett, P.C., and Amos, R.T., 2014, Journal of Contaminant Hydrology, v. 164, p. 1-15, doi:10.1016/j.jconhyd.2014.04.006.
- Effects of dual-pump crude oil recovery system, Bemidji, Minnesota, USA: Delin, G.N., and Herkelrath, W.N., 2014, Ground Water Monitoring and Remediation, v. 34, no. 1, p. 57-67, doi:10.1111/gwmr.12040.
- Insights into biodegradation through depth-resolved microbial community functional and structural profiling of a crude-oil contaminant plume: Fahrenfeld, N., Cozzarelli, I., Bailey, Z., and Pruden, A., 2014, Microbial Ecology, p. 1-10, doi:10.1007/s00248-014-0421-6.
- Phytoremediation of a petroleum-hydrocarbon contaminated shallow aquifer in Elizabeth City, North Carolina, USA: Nichols, E.G., Cook, R.L., Landmeyer, J.E., Atkinson, B., Malone, D.R., Shaw, G., and Woods, L., 2014, Remediation Journal, v. 24, no. 2, p. 29-46, doi:10.1002/rem.21382.